Makes four bowls.
- 1 container Trader Joe’s Ginger Miso Broth
- 4 cakes of Lotus foods brown rice & millet ramen noodles
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil (high heat like Avocado or Peanut)
- ½ pound of large or extra-large raw shrimp peeled and veined (enough for each person to have 4-5 shrimp each)
- 4 to 6 shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and julienned
- 2 scallions sliced thin, green and white parts
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼- ½ tsp roasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp Mirin Sauce (sweet Saki)
- 2 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsps Corn starch
- Ground pepper to taste
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Sesame seeds
- Splash of Rice wine vinegar
- 2 medium boiled eggs
- 2 heads of baby Bok choy, bottoms cut off, leaves separated and rinsed well
- Optional – Korean style pork jerky (Costco)
Cook ramen noodles according to package and set aside.
Once shrimp are peeled, rinse them with cool water and pat dry. In a bowl add the ginger, salt, pepper and corn starch. Heat cooking oil in a large heavy bottomed pan on medium high heat until oil is shimmering. Place shrimp in pan and cook 1-2 minutes or until the edges turn pink and opaque. Flip them over and cook for another 30 secs to 1 minute. Remove from pan and place on paper towel covered plate. In same pan still on medium to medium high heat add more oil if necessary, then add mushrooms and cook until soft and starting to caramelize, about 5-8 minutes. Add in carrots to pan and salt lightly. Cook for 3 minutes until they just start to get soft. Turn down the heat to medium low. Add in the soy sauce and Mirin sauce, cook for 30 seconds scraping up any bits stuck to the bottom. Turn off the heat and add a splash of rice wine vinegar. Remove from pan scrapping all the sauce into a bowl with the mushrooms and carrots. Return pan to high heat, add a little more oil and drop in the baby bok choy along with 1 Tbsp of water. Toss on heat for 1 to 3 minutes or just until baby bok choy starts to wilt. Remove pan from heat.
Peel eggs; put broth in pot to heat. Add noodles, and eggs to reheat completely. Do NOT boil the broth, bring to a bare simmer. Once eggs are warm remove and slice in half. Place noodles in 4 warmed bowls. Ladle broth into each bowl leaving a bit of the noodle mound showing. On top of noodle mound add 4 or 5 shrimp, mushrooms and carrots, drizzle sauce into bowl. To one side of bowl add a small amount of baby bok choy. On the other side add ½ an egg to each bowl. Then top with a drizzle of roasted sesame oil, add a generous amount of scallions, sprinkle with sesame seeds and red pepper flakes.
If using the Korean Style pork jerky, add a slice either whole or diced to the side of the bowl.